Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Review: Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur

Title: Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian series #1)
Author: Keri Arthur
Source: purchased

Synopsis:

In this exciting debut, author Keri Arthur explodes onto the supernatural scene with a sexy, sensuous tale of intrigue and suspense set in a world where legends walk and the shady paths of the underworld are far more sinister than anyone envisioned.

A rare hybrid of vampire and werewolf, Riley Jenson and her twin brother, Rhoan, work for Melbourne’s Directorate of Other Races, an organization created to police the supernatural races–and protect humans from their depredations. While Rhoan is an exalted guardian, a.k.a. assassin, Riley is merely an office worker–until her brother goes missing on one of his missions. The timing couldn’t be worse. More werewolf than vampire, Riley is vulnerable to the moon heat, the weeklong period before the full moon, when her need to mate becomes all-consuming.…

Luckily Riley has two willing partners to satisfy her every need. But she will have to control her urges if she’s going to find her brother….Easier said than done as the city pulses with frenzied desire, and Riley is confronted with a very powerful–and delectably naked–vamp who raises her temperature like never before.

In matters carnal, Riley has met her match. But in matters criminal, she must follow her instincts not only to find her brother but to stop an unholy harvest. For someone is doing some shifty cloning in an attempt to produce the ultimate warrior–by tapping into the genome of nonhumans like Rhoan. Now Riley knows just how dangerous the world is for her kind–and just how much it needs her.



Review:


Photobucket


I really don't know where to start with this book. It's about a woman named Riley who is half werewolf and half vampire. She is more werewolf than vampire though, so during the week every month leading up to the full moon, she has strong urges to mate. In the midst of the moon heat, her brother is taken and Riley is determined to find him. I would say that she would stop at nothing to find him, but well... she will stop for sex – and lots of it. Riley just seems like a slut to me. I get the fact that she “needs” sex during this phase of the moon, but it seems like she will have sex with anyone. She even goes back time and time again to have sex with a man she doesn't even like – just because the sex is good. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind reading about sex, but not when it's emotion-less.

I wouldn't call this book a romance by any means. There is potential, but it doesn't happen in this book. I'm more of a fan of paranormal romance than I am urban fantasy, but I guess I thought I would enjoy this book more. Riley isn't the smartest crayon in the box either. You'd think that you would be suspicious if you blacked out more than once after drinking a glass of wine that someone gives you. And I would consider it rape if I woke up and a guy was having sex with me.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to read the next book in this series. I AM interested in finding out if anything ever happens between Riley and Quinn. I guess I will probably read the other reviews for the next book. If you are a fan of the Anita Blake series by Laurell Hamilton, you might actually enjoy this book. It does have a heroine who can kick some butt, even if she does make a lot of stupid decisions along the way.

5 comments:

  1. Oh no!! I must say you should really give the rest of the books a try. I love this series. I know I didn't rush out to the store to pick up book 2 but I eventually started having to get to the next book as fast as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip Amber! I do already have the 2nd book in this series, so maybe I will give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did forget about the emotionless sex in this book. I remember going into this series thinking I was not going to like it, but somewhere during it, it became one of my favorites. No pressure just wanted to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for following my blog today :) Follow you back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy this one that much! I read it a few years back and enjoyed it enough to continue on to the 2nd book. I haven't read the 3rd book yet but I will eventually. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete