Monday, July 9, 2012

Review: Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. James

 Title: Fifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades #3)
Author: E.L. James
Source: Purchased
Synopsis:


When unworldly student Ana Steele first encountered the driven, damaged young entrepreneur Christian Grey, it sparked a sensual affair that changed both their lives irrevocably. Shocked, intrigued, and ultimately repelled by Christian's singular sexual tastes, Ana demanded a deeper commitment; determined to keep her, Christian agreed. Now, together, they have more-love, passion, intimacy, wealth, and a world of infinite possibilities. But Ana always knew that loving her Fifty Shades would not be easy and being together poses challenges neither of them ever anticipated. Ana must somehow learn to share Christian's opulent lifestyle without sacrificing her own integrity, identity, or independence; Christian must somehow overcome his compulsion to control and lay to rest the horrors that blighted his past and haunt his present. Just when it seems that together their love can conquer any obstacle, tragedy, malice and fate combine to make Ana's worst nightmares come true.





Review:







**Please note that this review contains spoilers**

Fifty Shades Freed is the third, and last, in the Fifty Shades trilogy. I didn't like this one as well as the other two, but I still enjoyed it. Actually, if it weren't for all the hype – I would never have picked these books up. The covers don't appeal to me at all. They look like a “man” book to me. With no femininity added, I would never have guessed there would be such a deep romance entwined within this trilogy.

Now, don't keep reading if you don't want to read any spoilers. There are just some things that I wanted to bring up in my review that I can't say without giving anything away... I was disappointed when the book started out with them already married. Yes, there were some flashbacks but I just felt like I missed out. I also started getting annoyed with all the sex. I mean, several times a day gets a little old.... That part just wasn't that exciting to me anymore. The first half of the book just seemed a little slow.

The second half of the book picked up and was more exciting. Another spoiler ----> When Ana told Christian that she was pregnant, I was totally pissed by his reaction. He was a major jerk and if I were her I would have walked out on him. Again. It took something big happening for him to realize what an a** he was.... And then you couldn't help but soften toward him again. He is someone that is hard to stay mad at.

There was major growth in Christian's character throughout the trilogy. Ana's character grew a little too – she got a bit of a backbone. Christian may have had many lovers, but this was his first REAL relationship. I loved seeing him go from “I don't do hearts and flowers” to being a lovesick puppy. They had lots of issues threaten to come between them, but in the end they overcame everything to be together.

The ending had a nice epilogue that wonderfully closed the story. That being said, I'm sad it's over. Christian is just a character that is so interesting to read about. There was some bonus material at the end of the book from Christian's point of view. It was from the time he first met Ana and I really enjoyed reading that part and being able to know exactly what he was thinking. I'd really love to see the author write a whole book from Christian's POV. I don't think there needs to be 3 – I think a lot of stuff could be cut out. I think that one book from his POV could cover the more important things from all three books in the trilogy. He is just such a complex character and I'd like to know what was going through his head at different times. I really hope the author puts out more books with complex characters and steamy romances – I'm a fan for sure.

Available at the following places:

1 comment:

  1. A great many of the problems with this book could have been overcome with something as simple as a night school course in creative writing. It seems like there was kernel of a good idea in this book but the author completely squandered her chance to expand on it.

    ReplyDelete