Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Review: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

 Title: Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3)
Author: Suzanne Collins
Source: Purchased

Synopsis:

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what's worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss's family, not her friends, not the people of District 12. Powerful and haunting, this thrilling final installment of Suzanne Collins's groundbreaking The Hunger Games trilogy promises to be one of the most talked about books of the year.



Review:


Photobucket


**Spoilers**

In the final installment of The Hunger Games trilogy, the characters are still fighting for their lives. Since District 12 has been bombed, Katniss and her friends and family find refuge in District 13. The Capitol is furious, and they won't stop until Katniss pays – which includes hurting people she loves.

I have to admit that I was pretty bored through most of this book, especially the first half when they were in District 13. Katniss just didn't seem like herself in this book, and I couldn't connect with her. It seemed like she was always recovering from some mental or physical trauma. That, or filming propos. Things get a little more interesting once the rebellion starts and they enter the Capitol. However, things just seemed overly done. I know this is a dystopian/futuristic book, but things just went too far and seemed outlandish to me.

The book was well written, but I guess I was just disappointed with the direction it went. I had hope throughout the book, but it just kept getting more and more depressing. To me, this series didn't end as a happily ever after. Katniss just had to settle for the way things turned out. Throughout the trilogy, I was dying to know if she was going to pick Gale or Peeta. In the end, she didn't really get much of a choice. With one of the boys, Katniss just couldn't forgive him for something that wasn't his fault. He went his own direction and she was left with the other boy. There really wasn't a choice, and I felt no emotion from Katniss.

Yes, the war with the Capitol is over in the end but I just wasn't satisfied with that. There was really nothing to return home to. There were so many deaths and Katniss didn't seem happy to me. It didn't seem like there was anything to look forward to. I don't want to give too much away, so I'm trying not to get into specifics. I just felt unsatisfied and depressed.

Find this book at the following places:
Amazon (kindle)
Amazon (hardcover)

2 comments:

  1. Completely agree with you. I was so disappointed with this book and almost threw it when I was finished. The other 2 were much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really disappointed when I first read this book upon release but after reading some critiques of it, I feel like I may have been expecting too much/the wrong things. I really want to give it a reread this year to see if I like it more or if I still have the same opinion.

    ReplyDelete