Friday, September 20, 2013

Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout



 Title: Obsidian (Lux #1)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Source: Purchased

Synopsis:

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.



 
Review:




Obsidian is the first book in the Lux series by Jennifer Armentrout. This is one of those books that I've heard so much about, and I've been wanting to read it but just haven't had the chance until now. I'm so glad I finally got the chance because this book is great. It's a young adult paranormal romance told from Katy's point of view. After Katy's dad dies, her mom eventually decides to start life over and they move to West Virginia. Katy is thrilled to find that she has a hot new neighbor – until she figures out what a jerk he is.

Katy is an awesome female lead character. She is very easy to relate to. She's an avid reader and has her own book blog. Being a book blogger myself, I absolutely loved the fact that she reviewed books, got all excited when she got a book in the mail, participated in weekly memes, etc... I'd be surprised if the author wasn't a book blogger at some point. Besides all this book nerdiness, Katy has a snarky and sarcastic side as well. It works well for her to be able to put up with Daemon.

Daemon might be the hottest guy that Katy has ever seen, but he is an arrogant jerk. He wants her to stay away from him and his sister – whom Katy is developing a friendship with. He makes her feel like a freak. But then something happens and Katy finds out that her new neighbors are aliens. Not only that, but Daemon is forced to protect her. They don't get along at all so the time that they spend together is interesting. The sexual tension just builds throughout this book while they both try to hide their growing attraction for each other. The pages are sizzling, even though this is just a young adult book.

I'm not really into sci-fi, so I haven't read many books with aliens in it. But I loved this one and can't wait to read the rest of this series. I loved Jennifer Armentrout's writing style in this book, and now she has a new fan. I know that she is now writing adult books under the name J. Lynn – those books are on my radar as well. 


Visit the author here:


Find this book at the following places:

No comments:

Post a Comment