Monday, February 14, 2011

Review: Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead

Synopsis:

"Rose Hathaway has always played by her own rules.

She broke the law when she ran away from St. Vladimir’s Academy with her best friend and last surviving Dragomir Princess, Lissa. She broke the law when she fell in love with her gorgeous, off-limits instructor, Dimitri. And she dared to defy Queen Tatiana, leader of the Moroi world, risking her life and reputation to protect generations of dhampir guardian to come.

Now the law has finally caught up with Rose- for a crime she didn’t even commit. She’s in prison for the highest offense imaginable: the assassination of a monarch. She’ll need help from both Dimitri and Adrian to find the one living person who can stall her execution and force the Moroi elite to acknowledge a shocking new candidate for the royal throne: Vasilisa Dragomir.

But the clock on Rose’s life is running out. Rose knows in her heart the world of the dead wants her back… and this time she is truly out of second chances. The big question is, when your life is about saving others, who will save you?"


Review:



I gave this book 3 stars. I really wanted to give it more, but the truth is that I LIKED it, I didn't LOVE it. I am going to try really hard not to give away any spoilers here. I thought the book was fairly slow paced - boring in spots. It's such a big book (594 pages), and I think some details could have been left out. I'm not really a fan of Lissa - not that I don't like her, I just don't really have an interest in what happens in her world. Rose often gets into Lissa's mind to see what is going on, and I felt like those parts were uninteresting. My favorite characters are Rose and Dimitri, I've been waiting for what seems like years for them to be together. He is Rose's bodyguard through most of the book, but I just felt that he was too "cold" to her. Basically, she went through hell to save him in past books and he acted like it was all thanks to Lissa. After the way he had treated Rose after she saved him, he should have been down on his knees begging for forgiveness. In the end, I still don't think he showed enough gratitude.

Adrian is a character I really like. I feel really bad for him and the way things ended up. I've read on Richelle Mead's website that there is a spin-off series called Bloodlines - and I think Adrian will be in that. Also, there are some loose-ends in Last Sacrifice - but they will be explained in the spin-off series. It doesn't come out until August though, ugh! I am really looking forward to reading it - luckily I have tons of other books on my to-read list that will keep me busy until then!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there. I saw my button down there. You rock. I am reading/listening to Spirit Bound at this present moment, so nope, I didn't read your review. Don't want to spoil it. But, just wanted to say, "Hi." and welcome to the book blogging world. Can't wait to read your other reviews. Your blog design is really cute. Like the avi. Parajunkee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, at least there is Bloodlines to look forward to! I could never live knowing how things ended with Adrian. I think overall, Rose's story is done.
    *new follower :)*

    ReplyDelete