Saturday, February 26, 2011

Review: Matched by Ally Condie

Synopsis:

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.

Review



I gave this book 3 stars, mostly because I thought it was boring. When I first saw this book, I was drawn to the cover. It just looked really unique. I had never read another dystopian book before so I didn't really have anything to compare it to. The concept itself was really interesting to me. It is kind of neat/scary to think of how things could be in the future. The way the story was written though, was dull. It was boring, slow paced, and lacked feeling. There really wasn't any passion between any of the members of the love triangle. Cassia's feelings for Ky seemed to come out of nowhere. She had known him for years and didn't think twice about him, but then she was suddenly in love with him after finding out they were compatible.

I sort of just felt unsettled by the ending. It's really hard to explain why - especially without giving anything away. There seems to be a lot of things unanswered, and I just felt confused throughout the book. I may or may not read the second book in the series. I just have a feeling that it will also lack spark.

my favorite line:

Perhaps the best way to fly would be with hands full of earth
so you always remember where you came from, how hard walking could sometimes be.

No comments:

Post a Comment