Thursday, March 17, 2011

Review: Midsummer Night by Erin O'Riordan


Synopsis:
Priestess-in-training and part-time witch Zen Van Zandt loves biology grad student Ramesh Sudhra. Only two things stand in the way of their happiness: his traditional Indian-American family doesn’t welcome Zen, and Zen’s training requires a yearlong vow of celibacy. Between Ramesh’s stern mother’s disapproval, Zen’s vow of celibacy, and her assistant’s romantic troubles with a wild new witch, Zen wonders if she and Ramesh will ever see their wedding day.

Review:

Photobucket


About a week ago, I was asked to review the book Midsummer Night by Erin O'Riordan. I'm giving this book a star rating of 2 out of 5. I didn't hate it, I just couldn't connect with it. I sort of felt lost, like I didn't know what direction the book was headed. After I read the book, I found out that it was part 2 of a series. Maybe if I had read the 1st book, things would be different but I'm basing this review on this book alone. The main character's name is Zen, and it seemed to me that the first 1/4 of the book was mostly about Zen's sister having a baby. Then it was about Zen's sister getting married. Nothing much was happening with Zen except for the fact that she had taken a vow of chastity. I couldn't figure out why Zen's sister's life was so important in this book, but now I know that she was a main character in the first book. The last half of Midsummer Night was about Zen and Ramesh wanting his family to accept her into their family. I thought that maybe the storyline needed something more to make it exciting - instead I was feeling uninterested. I thought that the story was too descriptive - too much unneeded information. The writing was good, the character's were likable enough, but since I couldn't get "into" the book - it left me not caring about what was happening with the characters.

1 comment:

  1. I truly appreciate you taking the time to review my book and giving your honest (paranormal) opinion. I'm glad you thought the writing was good.

    I'm working on the third book in the series right now and I'll keep your suggestions in mind as I edit it.

    ReplyDelete